Vaughan’s Foolproof Chocolate Fudge Cake28.9.2018
Why not use it to recreate the chocolate cake in the opening sequence of Great British Bake Off? Cut the cake in two when cooled and sandwich together with either whipped double cream or a mixture of half double cream and half mascarpone whipped together. Top with the fudge topping and then finish with fresh raspberries pressed into the fudge topping before it has fully set.
Vaughan’s Cookery School are great believers in straight forward recipes that you can rely on to deliver tasty, delicious cakes time and time again. Try their fabulous, reliable recipe for a chocolate cake you can guarantee will be a crowd pleaser. It’s easy to make, stays moist, is light in texture and absolutely delicious!
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbls cocoa powder (heaped for darker cake)
- 200g self raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 3 tbls milk
- 3 tbls hot water
- Fudge Topping
- 50g butter
- 1 tbls milk
- 4 tbls icing sugar sifted
- 1 tbls cocoa powder sifted
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Cream butter and sugar together with wooden spoon.
- Beat in eggs and some of the flour and then fold in cocoa powder and the rest of the flour with a metal spoon. Do not overbeat at this stage or you will lose all the lightness you’ve put in.
- Add the milk and hot water. The mixture should fall off the spoon easily. Add a handful of any other ingredients you think will work well at this stage e.g. sour cherries, sultanas, chocolate chips, chopped crystallized ginger etc.
- Line an 8” baking tin with baking parchment.
- Put mixture in and bake at 180ºC for 35 mins until firm to the touch.
- Melt butter in saucepan with milk and remove from the heat.
- Stir in sifted icing sugar and cocoa powder and mix together. Pour on to cake and leave to set.